What is a Field Sales Representative?
Also known as outside sales, field sales is the process used by companies to visit prospects, directly engage them to make more sales. A field sales representative is the person in charge of making it happen and is usually an employee of the company or brand they are selling.
A sales representative must be ready to:
- Travel from one location to another, within and without local boundaries, depending on the company and its size.
- Initiate contact with strangers, interact with them and convince them to make purchases.
- Listen to the customers to learn what they want.
- Accept travel assignments wherever and whenever the company needs them to, even on short notice and so on.
A field sales representative plays an integral role in building healthy and lasting relationships with customers through the continuous improvements of products and services to make them happy and make more sales. With the right team in place, this can take your business to a whole new level to become one of the top brands in the world market.
Field Sales Representative Job Description
Field sales is an out-of-office job that involves going directly to the customers, actively engage them, and encourage purchases. The goal is to make more sales.
The two job titles in field sales are field sales representative and field sales executive. In most cases, both mean the same thing, and their field sales job descriptions are the same. However, there are few instances where these two titles may vary depending on the specific organization and size. But nothing much changes except for the field executive job description. Here, the sales executive takes up a more administrative role and is in charge of directing and supervising the sales representatives.
Searching for a qualified field sales representative to attract new customers, maximize sales, profit and productivity within the organization. Successful candidates will interact with existing customers, initiate contact with new ones, educate them and follow up on their progress to convert them into loyal customers. The candidates are also responsible for monitoring current market trends, studying competitors, and all other activities listed in field sales job descriptions.
Field sales job responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Assessing customer needs
- Evaluate sales strategies to determine how effective they are
- Design new sales processes and strategies
- Investigate current market trends and competitors
- Sell products using several different methods to satisfy customer needs,
- Follow up on customers,
- Forecast sales
- Prepare and submit field marketing sales reports to the respective managers,
- Work with other departments to maximize sales,
- Meet sales quotas, better yet exceed
- Update the CRM system
Field Sales Representative Skills and Experience
Although education is important, most companies will pay more attention to the levels of experience and skills when recruiting field sales representatives. That is because product sales expertise is, for the better part, acquired through practice and some very little theory.
Below is a list of some essential skills of a field sales representative
- Negotiation skills
- Communication skills
- Customer service
- Computer skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Time management skills
- Team player
- Motivational skills
- Multitasking skills
- Presentation skills
Qualities of Field Sales Representatives
Here are some important field sales representative qualities:
- Should have a competitive attitude
- Should be comfortable using the phone
- Should be able to work under minimum or without supervision
- Should have a good rapport with all the parties involved
- Should have sufficient knowledge about the products and a variety of sales techniques
- Should be flexible enough to work and travel upon request
- Should be goal-oriented
- Should practice a great deal of positivity
- Should be persistent, responsible, and respectful
- Should always be ready to learn new lessons
- Should not be self-conscious
- Should be composed
- Should be a good listener
- Should be creative
- Should be passionate about their job, and so on
The field sales representative job is one of the most important and most popular worldwide. Everyone benefits from it, from customers to business institutions.
To the businesses, it helps build better customer relationships based on trust and loyalty to maximize sales. With the right team of field sales representatives, this will lead to success.
Field sales representatives are keen to listen to their customers’ views, opinions, and comments to improve their services and satisfy their needs.
Field sales representatives have played a pivotal role in the growth and development of modern business, and that is not about to change.